Safety in the home is something we all need to take responsibility for. So we are starting a new blog series called 'SNEAKY CHEEKY TUESDAY TIP'. Once a month, we'll give you a quick electrical tip from electrical safety in the home to clever ways to be more energy efficient.
This month we're asking you to say no to piggy-backing double adapters.
The practice of plugging one double adapter into another, piggy-back style, is a big no-no. Unlike most power boards, double adapters do not have built-in overload protection meaning they can easily overheat and become a serious fire hazard. Yep, overheating double adapters is actually one of the most common causes of fires in Aussie homes.
They can also lead to electric shock in some cases given they can come apart quite easily - another reason it's so important to ensure that you have safety switches installed.
So the humble double adapter might seem like a harmless and cheap solution to not having enough power points for your appliances but it's actually a dangerous little gadget. We'd suggest correctly binning your double adapters and investing in a power board with surge protector or giving Jack a call on 0411 457 441 and booking in the CES crew to install some more power points for you.
So today's tip is to piggy-back your kid, your mate or your even your dog but please don't piggy-back your double adapters!
South Coast Sparky
Jack is your local south coast sparky. He values quality, safety and service. He loves to surf and hang out with his kids. Here are some tips and tricks from Jack and the CES team to keep you entertained and safe.